lunes, 12 de septiembre de 2011

Ziplining, Rafting, and Waterfall Hiking in MINDO!

I was a little concerned when I heard we would be going to the Galápagos in September... how could anything else live up to it? What would I have to look forward to? Well, my concerns all disappeared this weekend. First, the 13 of us took a private Ecuadorian cooking class followed by dancing on Friday night! The chef at the cooking class, showed us how to make the fish dish (tilapia, shrimp, rice, and patacones) in a traditional coastal way (without any fancy appliances). It was Kasia's birthday so we ate another dinner at her house and all relaxed in anticipation for an early morning on Satuday. Tim, Pat, Kevin, and I had a slumber party at Kevin's house and legit pillow talked for a solid 2 hours or so. Just when I thought the sleepover couldn't get any better, we were served a huge breakfast before our departure to Mindo (below).



We took the earliest bus and arrived in the tiny village of Mindo at around 9AM. Mindo is the type of town where you can see people you know after only being there for a day and a half (true story). This weekend was the first time I have ever stayed in a hostel but I am not sure it would even be fair to call it that... the place was beautiful yet only 7 dollars for the night. There was a wrap around porch and hammocks that made watching the fireworks amazing! Also, our only form of transportation besides walking was riding in the back of a pickup truck... yes... all 13 of us... Anyways, on Satuday afternoon we went ziplining (first time!). The guides taught us some cool inverted tricks called superhombre and mariposa. The tarzan swing, however, was the icing on the cake. I wish I knew how tall the drop was but we were harnessed with a rope and just told to jump off of the ledge... it was at least a 5 second free-fall.



Later that day we went rafting down a river that was about 90% covered by rocks... we thought it was a joke at first and assumed our guide was talking about a different river but, of course not. The water was absolutely freezing but the ride was well worth it. After cleaning up a little, we all headed to a chocolate factory where we saw, first hand, the production of chocolate down from the fruit it comes from. Did you know that BBQ sauce and chocolate are produced by the same fruit? After the tour we received complementary brownies... and, for a girl who doesn't LOVE chocolate, I will admit it was delectable. When the sun began to set we went to this pond where the frogs are known to start singing at the same time. I am not gonna lie, I was less than interested in the frogs so I had a lengthy conversation with a couple from Israel. On our way to dinner there was a large congregation (most likely the entire town) gathered around what appeared to be a band and a religious mass. There was something so beautiful to me about this scene. It was a Saturday night and the entire town was gathered in the streets praying. That night we decided to all stay in and relax because we had to wake up really early again on Sunday. The live music and fireworks were really great... until we all wanted to go to sleep... then, not so much.

I was about to complain about being woken up by the roosters in the morning but it could be worse... I could have been woken up at 5AM in the Nicaraguan mountains by the sound of my host mother killing a chicken for breakfast... that happened. Anyways, if you are ever offered Bolones Verdes in South America please take my advice and get them.... put a little aji on top and it's orgasmic. Sunday morning after breakfast we went on a three hour hike around 5 waterfalls where we stopped in for some swimming! Before leaving Mindo we ate at an Italian restaurant which was AMAZING.



I believe there is something to be said about students who chose to come study abroad in Ecuador. I can only speak for my group, however, there is a greater respect for the culture and experience as opposed to the party/ drinking scene. It is as if every day I am living in the Appa Love or Kai High. I am glad I have the opportunity to experience the more outdoorsy/environmental study abroad experience as well as the typical European adventure. It's gonna be one hell of a year...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario