jueves, 25 de agosto de 2011

First Week of Classes

If you know me enough, you know that the two things I cannot live without are iced coffee and, more importantly, mashed potatoes. Coming to Ecuador I knew that I would have to sacrifice the scrumptiousness of these two extraordinary delicacies for 4 and a half months. Ahh... but wait. There appeared to be a glimpse of hope. As I mentioned, KFC is the biggest food chain in Quito and yes, I did see one Dunkin Donuts. However, my deepest desires... all that I had yearned for had been completely shot down yesterday. Not only does Dunkin Donuts have no idea what an iced coffee is, apparently in Quito rice is the new mashed potatoes... you've gotta be shitting me.

The first week of school was wonderful. I have two-three classes a day and I don't start until 11 or 11:30. The best part of it all is that I have NO FRIDAY CLASSES!! As of right now I am taking Lituratura y Cine and Cultura Iberoamericana on Monday and Wednesdays and then Antropología Andina, Conversación Avanzada, y Evolución Humana on Tuesdays and Thursdays! I am enjoying all of my classes so far with the exception of Lituratura y Cine. Not only did I not understand our first reading in Spanish... I had no better luck when I read it in English. Luckily, my host father, Jaime, is absolutely brilliant. He was a psychiatrist and a book editor (he has worked on some of my textbooks and a lot of guidebooks to Ecuador). Thus, Jaime and I had to sit down after dinner on Monday night and read through the Borges essay together. To make a long story short, I can't even speak in that class and I comprehend only about 75% of what is being said so I may have to drop it.

All-in-all I have noticed a HUGE difference in work load. I feel like I barely ever have anything to do which has allowed for more free time. Pat and I joined a gym together and went for the first time today. Because of the altitude it is so much more tiring to work out. We only lasted for about 35 minutes until we crashed. Last night was also a lot of fun. The night started at Tim's house where we put together a band and rocked out for about 2 hours. From there we went to Buster's British Pub to watch the big soccer game! And of course, leave it to BC students to leave the pub after the game and have a philosophical/ theological discussion on a rooftop for two hours. In all seriousness, Kasia, Kevin and I just sat and talked for what seemed like hours about the most obscure human thoughts. It's nights like those that I will always remember years from now when I think about Quito.

Perhaps the most important news of all... (1) Galápagos in one week! And (2) I AM GOING TO MACHU PICHU!!! At the end of October Kevin, Jon, Pat, Nate and I are going to Cuzco, Peru for 5 days and then hiking the Incan Trail towards Machu Pichu for 4 days. The trek is going to be very tiresome and I will smell like a dirty sock by the end of it but I think it may be one the best experiences of my life. I definitely need to read up a little more on both the Galápagos and Machu Pichu before I partake in these excursions so that I can get the most out of them.  I can say with a smile on my face that I feel so incredibly fortunate to have these opportunities.

Quote of the Week: "You know how people say more money, more problems... I think it's like less money more problems"- Patrick Daly reflecting upon living in a third world country.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario